WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON PERFORMANCE QUEST FITNESS & ATHLETICS' BLOG

A collection of websites, articles, blog posts, videos, comments, studies, etc. from other forerunners in the areas of performance that will be covered, along with my own rants, raves, thoughts and ideas about selected topics. Also this blog serves as a showcase of the accomplishments and achievements of the hard-working athletes of Performance Quest Fitness & Athletics.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

This Bar Is Light / Rope Climbing Technique

MONDAY, JANUARY 30TH, 2012

Open Class 5:00pm / 6:00pm

Athena Class 6:00pm

Foothill Volleyball 7:00pm


THIS BAR IS LIGHT!

By Lisbeth Darsh - CrossFit Lisbeth

This bar is light.

That's what I tell meslef every single time, no matter what the lift is, no matter how many plates are on the bar.

This bar is light.

It can be a snatch, a thruster, a front squat, or a deadlift. There can be 85 lbs on it or 225 lbs. It can be a practice jerk with PVC pipe or it can be a 10lb PR on a 1RM back squat.

Still, this bar is light.

It might sound stupid. Okay, not "might" - it is stupid. But it works, for me. Because if I approach that bar with the idea that the weight is heavy, then it will feel heavy. And my chances of making that lift go way down if my mind is weighed down.

It's like when I see a CrossFitter - usually, a woman - shake her head "no" in the middle of a workout. Shake her head. It makes me crazy and I want to yell "Stop shaking your head!" from across the room. (Okay, maybe I've done that once or twice. Or 314 times, but who's counting?) I know the gal with the head shake is probably just trying to psych herself up, but usually she doesn't realize she just psyched herself out. If you think the weight is heavy, it will feel heavy. Heavy is hard to lift. But light? Light is a cakewalk. You can do light.

Jason Khalipa, shortly after winning the 2008 CrossFit Games, said this to me: "If you think you can't do another push-up, you can't." He was talking aobut the power of the mind. Put the right thoughts in your head and get out of your own way.

See? This bar is light.

Coach Justin
PerformanceQuestFitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment