WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON PERFORMANCE QUEST FITNESS & ATHLETICS' BLOG

A collection of websites, articles, blog posts, videos, comments, studies, etc. from other forerunners in the areas of performance that will be covered, along with my own rants, raves, thoughts and ideas about selected topics. Also this blog serves as a showcase of the accomplishments and achievements of the hard-working athletes of Performance Quest Fitness & Athletics.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sitting Is Toxic

THURSDAY, MARCH 1ST, 2012

Open Class 4:30pm / 5:30pm

Foothill Volleyball 7:00pm


NOTE: I know there are a handful of you who have already expressed your interest in cruising down to Chico State this Saturday to watch the Northern Section Basketball Championship games. The schedule is wrapping up to look like this - I'm not able to leave any earlier than 1:00pm but the Foothill vs Enterprise game doesn't begin until 4:15pm so there shouldn't be any problem there. If we leave by 2:00pm that should give us plenty of time to comfortably drive down and be a little early. Also, since we're there I am probably going to want to hang around and watch the Division 2 boys game between Shasta and Chico (I'm assuming it's Chico anyways) at 7:45.



Sitting is a subject that I've been hammering home to you lately because it's been so painstakingly obvious how much it's been negatively effecting my life and my performance. The effects I'm realizing from sitting include the tight psoas, which will be mentioned below in the video, as well as a locking of the hips and associated low back pain (read "The Psoas: Is It Killing Your Back"). Over the course of the past month or two I've been making a concerted effort to not sit as much. Whenever I'm at the computer I'm standing or kneeling. This effort has made a huge difference in how I feel. If I sit for too long throughout the day I am not able to perform my workouts afterward. However, when I refrain from this dreaded position I feel up to any challenge throughout the day.

And I know that I am not the only one recognizing the effects of sitting. Within the past few months I have had a handful of you disclose to me your concern for how you feel when you stand after sitting for a period of time. This is the real deal folks and I can feel it ruining my life when I sit and it will ruin yours too.

Initially, when I tell people to stop sitting, they start in with, "Oh coach, I know I should stop watching TV as much. Or, I know I should be more active on my off days." That's totally not it at all. If you are CrossFitting just a couple times a week you are, in general, being pretty active by my standards. CrossFit is demanding right?

The fact of the matter is that sitting, in and of itself, IS THE DEVIL! (See The Waterboy). Sitting not only causes pain and discomfort, it also hinders your ability to become organizationally set up for a movement, limits mobility, and negates your ability to place yourself into posturally correct positions, which all result in a performance decline. Watch the video clip below and check out why...

When you're done watching the video clip click on this link - http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/why-sitting-wrecks-your-mad-hip-action.html - and read the brief, one paragraph, explanation that K-Star has written as an intro. It's worth your time.

Coach Justin
PerformanceQuestFitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment