WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON PERFORMANCE QUEST FITNESS & ATHLETICS' BLOG

A collection of websites, articles, blog posts, videos, comments, studies, etc. from other forerunners in the areas of performance that will be covered, along with my own rants, raves, thoughts and ideas about selected topics. Also this blog serves as a showcase of the accomplishments and achievements of the hard-working athletes of Performance Quest Fitness & Athletics.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Achy Legs Can Be Fatal

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2ND, 2010
6:30pm

NOTE: There will be no class this Friday.


Wait! You mean those horrendous workouts where I can barely walk out of the gym and it takes everything I have to move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal can actually kill me? Well, if it's that difficult to get you foot to the brakes then yeah! Maybe they can. But that's not what I'm talkin' 'bout here.

I have a number of exciting articles I happened across the other day that I was really looking forward to sharing with you today. However, I came across another one last night that addresses an issue that I've been hearing about A LOT lately. Several weeks ago my favorite nursing student (you know...the one at Long Beach State) was grilling me on my general knowledge of stuff she'd learned and asked me if I could tell her how Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) caused someone to die of a heart attack. I replied, "I've actually never heard of it". According to the following article this is common. Following this recent exchange with said nursing student I've subsequently heard of several cases of people with symptoms of achey legs being rushed into the emergency room for open heart surgery. And all of the cases I've heard about have come from my family members who knew the person or worked with the person's wife/husband. So, I figured that if I have heard about PAD this frequently over the past couple of weeks maybe it is something to look into. Well I did and the numbers are staggering! Large enough that I'd have pretty good odds if I bet that this disease will affect you in some capacity or another.

Well, if something life-threatening was coming after me or someone I knew and I had a chance to read up on it you can bet that I'd jump at the opportunity. I'm assuming you will to. So, here ye be.

When Achy Legs Are A Warning

Coach Justin
PerformanceQuestFitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment