WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON PERFORMANCE QUEST FITNESS & ATHLETICS' BLOG

A collection of websites, articles, blog posts, videos, comments, studies, etc. from other forerunners in the areas of performance that will be covered, along with my own rants, raves, thoughts and ideas about selected topics. Also this blog serves as a showcase of the accomplishments and achievements of the hard-working athletes of Performance Quest Fitness & Athletics.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Mass Gain Calculations

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH, 2010
6:30pm

NOTE: There will be no class this Wednesday or Saturday.

In continuing with yesterday's post on My Mass Gain Project, here are some simple calculations that I did to find a baseline of what my daily caloric intake should be and how those calories should be broken up between proteins, fats, and carbs. I haven't yet taken into consideration carb repartioning (an effective post workout nutrition technique), which is something that I know I've described to many of you before and have actually posted in the not so distant past (does Non-Insulin Mediated Glucose Transport ring any bells? If not read here) and something I will include in a follow-up post.

Please keep in mind this is for gaining weight! If you want to lose weight you've got some different parameters to work with. Also know that if you're to use this as a guideline to do your calculations the constant numbers (the ones you will need to use that are the same as mine) will be highlighted below in yellow. All of the other numbers are specific to MY weight and MY goal weight. Provided are 2 different options you have to gain weight. I am currently going with option #2 but you may want to be more precise and go with option #1. If you opt for option #2 and it doesn't work for you then we will certainly be implementing option #1 and having you record your intake so that way you can actually see if you're getting the right amount of food and don't just think you are.

So, without further ado, here are what MY numbers look like. You may have different numbers.

OPTION #1
Note: When I started (7 days ago) I weighed 201.4 lbs. I want to weigh 235 lbs (goal weight)

1. Determine total Caloric needs by bodyweight (BW) and multiply by 19-21 cals/lb (Shoot for goal weight)

  • My example: 235lbs x 19 cals/lb = 4,465 calories per day needed

2. Determine how many of those calories need to be protein (1g protein per lb BW)

  • 235 lbs (goal weight) x 1g/lb = 235g protein per day

3. Determine how many of those calories need to be carbohydrate (1g carbs per lb BW). This may need to be tweaked depending on your tolerance to carbs in the future. See how you respond first though.

  • 235 lbs (goal weight) x 1g/lb = 235g carbohydrate per day

4. Calculate how many calories of protein and carbohydrate you are consuming each day and round out the remaining calories with fat and convert to grams of fat if desired.

  • 1g protein = 4 calories per gram...therefore... 235g protein x 4 calories per gram = 940 calories of protein per day
  • 1g carbohydrate = 4 calories per gram...therefore... 235g carbohydrate x 4 caloreis per gram = 940 calories of carbs per day
  • 4,465 calories per day - 940 calories protein per day - 940 calories carbohydrate per day = 2,585 calories from fat needed each day
  • 2,585 calories from fat / 9 calories of fat per gram = 287g fat needed per day

OPTION #2

This is what Robb Wolf calls "Seat-O-Pants Paleo". With this option you eat as much as possible at each meal (while following the parameters of Paleo nutrition). He also places an emphasis on post workout carbs (the repartitioning I mentioned earlier), but I'm not doing that yet and we'll get to that soon. Right now I want you to EAT! Eat 3 meals a day and a couple of snacks. Or just eat 4 meals a day and no snacks. Either of these is a good place to start. With this "Seat-O-Pants Paleo" you may need/want to include a gallon of whole milk a day. This I am trying for the first time (sorta...When I was bodybuilding I drank a TON of whole milk, maybe a gallon or more a day, but I was also eating what I thought were really healthy foods but what I now know are actually really crappy foods along with it. Needless to say, I was pretty fat. HUGE but with lots of fat). I used a week to break myself into this. A half-gallon the first 4 days. 3/4 of a gallon on days 5 and 6. And my first full gallon came today, day 7.

To date I have gained exactly lbs in 7 days and have not increased my body fat at all (according to both the CrossFit Redding scale and my home scale).

Coach-Bring-It-On-Skinny-Britches-Justin
PerformanceQuestFitness@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment